Skippko Project - Mine's A Story«Back to Projects Index
“Working with the older people was a brilliant experience. They were all extremely kind and helpful. I enjoyed sewing the most and Jean’s poems were breathtaking. I loved my time here.”
‘Mine’s A Story’ was a project gathering local stories about mining, community and family life in the Rothwell area of Leeds. The stories were told through a unique textile banner following in the tradition of miners’ and union banners. The banner reflects people’s personal stories in creative ways through images, text and photographs. It was created by older people and added to by local school children.
Some of the things we looked at:
- How did mining affect family life?
- What were people’s daily lives like?
- What was the role of women in the mining community?
- What makes Rothwell distinctive?
- How did the pit closures affect the community?